Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mom

I just talked to my mom for 87 minutes and 42 seconds. That may have been the longest phone conversation we've ever had and I'm completely exhausted now. Not because she is exhausting, but because it takes more energy to sit still holding a phone than I thought. Oh, and I also have to talk so that she understands me. I guess I started talking gibberish and she knew that I needed to sleep. It was good talking to her though. We haven't really talked since I told her about my diagnosis and she had no idea that things had gotten so bad. She really listened and asked good questions.

We even laughed a bit and she shared her recipe for red beans with me, though she was a little frustrated that she had to repeat it several times in order for me to get it written down. That was a low point of the conversation for us, I think. She doesn't see me and we don't talk often, so trying to explain the fairly simple recipe to me and realizing I just wasn't getting it made all the stories so real. I could hear it in her voice when it hit her, but she slowed down and I got it all. It was all downhill from there. I'm having a hard time speaking my thoughts and forming sentences orally.

Actually, I've been having a hard time writing anything lately. Would you believe I've been working on this entry for 35 minutes? It's true. And sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment