Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I left the house today!

Even though I was unable to workout this morning due to the pain and fatigue, I managed to leave the house today. Yay! It almost didn't happen though. See, I had to go to the post office to pick up a certified letter that the carrier couldn't be bothered to ring the bell and deliver yesterday. The post office isn't very far, about 3 blocks, but when I'm having a bad day that seems like miles. I also hate going to that post office because the entrance closest to my path and destination has stairs and the ramp is on the opposite side of the building. Although it's less than a full flight of stairs, in my head there is several flights of very steep stairs without a railing. But I also don't want to go to the other entrance because in my head, it's a mile away to get to it and I have to walk that same distance to get to the necessary area to retrieve my letter. Basically, when I woke up this morning the simple trip to the post office seemed as difficult as an unguided trek up Mt Everest.

After an hour of trying to get myself out of bed, dressed, and ready to go with no success I was almost ready to quit trying when a friend suggested I come visit her and another friend if I made it out. I knew she worked in the area, but I didn't know that her office was on the floor above the post office. (I didn't even know there were offices above the post office!) As a person who spends the daytime alone I couldn't pass up an opportunity like this. That simple invitation was the boost I needed to get dressed (I even put a little makeup on) and get my errand done.

Seeing those two friends today was really great. Although I am having a bad day with pain, fatigue, and cognitive difficulties, the whole interaction went really smoothly. They even played the "what is that person's name" game with me where I can't remember someone's name and go off into a whole description of the person while they guess who I was talking about. (Side note: I love that game and greatly appreciate when people play it with me and help me figure out the name. I've become really self-conscious about my cognitive difficulties and have been afraid of having more social interactions, but having them be so patient was really good for me. This time it was Anne Hathaway.) They even invited me back to visit them again and I just may take them up on it if I'm going down there or if I bake cookies or if it's been a while since I've been out and I just need to get out.

I like this getting out the house stuff. I think I'm gonna do it more often. It's good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment