Thursday, August 27, 2009

3 years and family

Yesterday was the anniversary of my coming to California. I wanted to mention that in yesterday's post but I was in such a hurry to post it and already dopey, that it just didn't happen. I know you're thinking, "Chris, you posted that entry at 7:04 pm." Well, the timestamp is 7:04 pm. Actually, I posted it just after 10 pm. I guess the timestamp corresponds to the time you open the posting window and not when you click publish. And no, it didn't take me 3 hours to compose the post. I'd actually written my first sentence when my sister called and we got to chatting. I really do love talking to my sister on the phone. We haven't always gotten along, but as adults we're best friends. We easily have 2 hour conversations about every topic under the sun. That's what happened last night, we talked about the advantages and disadvantages (primarily) of weight loss surgery, weddings, and Christianity all in one conversation.

Talking to her also made me wonder if I've ever written about my family. I know I've mentioned them in rants before, but never given you a clear profile of them. How many of you knew I am a middle child? I am. I used to call myself the "extreme" middle child because my sister is 6 years older and my brother is 6 years younger (he sometimes comments here). That's just enough years to ensure that we never had the same friends, never attended a school at the same time, and it puts us in different generations. We were raised by my parents in Gary, Indiana. We all left home as after high school, but I'm the only one who settled outside of Indiana. My is the only one to give my parents grandchildren, 2 girls and a boy), but Nilaja and I are hoping to change that in a few years. I was the only one to do 4 years of college and I graduated from Colby College in Waterville, ME in 2006.

Which brings me back to California. I haven't always liked living here, but it's grown on me. I actually couldn't imagine leaving here now. Especially since I finally have my health care organized. Oy, I can't even imagine what it would take to recreate this network. But I'll do it if I need to. I'll just groan the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment